He has been teaching Sanskrit since 1972. From 1972-1978 he was the Director of the Nepal-German Manuscript Preservation Project, Kathmandu. Curriculum Vitae
He has written a number of books and more than a hundred articles (in German, English, French, and Japanese) on Vedic, Old-Iranian, Nepalese Studies, Indian History and Comparative Mythology. Publications
His major publications include:
* Das Katha-Âranyaka. Textkritische Edition mit Uebersetzung und Kommentar.Erlangen/Kathmandu 1972
* On Magical Thought in the Veda. Leiden: Universitaire Pers 1979
* On the Localization of Vedic Texts and Schools. In: G. Pollet ed., India and the Ancient World, Leuven 1987: 173-213
* Early Sources for South Asian Substrate Languages. Boston: Mother Tongue 1999
* Tracing the Vedic Dialects. In: C. Caillat (ed.), Dialectes dans les litteratures indo-aryennes. Paris 1989: 97-264
* Das Alte Indien [History of Old India]. München: C.H. Beck [C.H. Beck Wissen] 2003.
* Katha Âranyaka. Critical edition with a translation into German and an introduction. Cambridge: Harvard Oriental Series 65. 2004
* Linguistic Evidence for Cultural Exchange in Prehistoric Western Central Asia. Philadelphia: Sino-Platonic Papers 129, 2003
* Central Asian Roots and Acculturation in South Asia.
Linguistic and Archaeological Evidence from Western Central Asia, the
Hindukush and Northwestern South Asia for Early Indo-Aryan Language and
In: T. Osada (ed.) Linguistics, Archaeology and the Human Past. Kyoto : Indus Project, Research Institute for Humanity and Nature 2004, 87-211
For details see: Publications
He is the the Editor of several journals and books; among them, the Harvard Oriental Series. He is the Managing Editor of the International Journal of Tantric Studies and the founder of the Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies.
He is currently finalizing a book on comparative historical
Homo Fabulans. Origins and Dispersal of Our First Mythologies (working title)
Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies - email@example.com
Revised: July 14, 1995, Febr. 2007
This page was developed and is maintained by Ludovico Magnocavallo